EXPLAINERNo Secret Service agents sustain injuries, but a bystander is wounded in the exchange of fire.A man has been shot dead by United States Secret Service officers after opening fire on a security checkpoint near the White House, and a bystander has been wounded in the gunfire.Several US media outlets have identified the gunman as Nasire Best, a 21-year-old man from the neighbouring state of Maryland who was known to the Secret Service and had a documented history of mental health conditions.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemsend of listShortly after 6pm (22:00 GMT) on Saturday, the suspect approached a Secret Service checkpoint at the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC, pulled a weapon from his bag and began shooting at officers posted there, the Secret Service said in a statement. The gunman was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead. No Secret Service officers were wounded.President Donald Trump was in the White House during the incident but “no protectees or operations were impacted,” the Secret Service said. The White House was immediately placed under lockdown.Here’s what we know so far:Who was the gunman?US media say Best had tried to get close to the White House on several occasions last year.The Reuters news agency said he had violated a “stay-away order” and had been identified as an emotionally disturbed person.CNN reported that Best blocked an entry lane to the White House in June last year and was detained by the Secret Service. He claimed to be Jesus and said he wanted to be arrested. He was sent to th …