Iran’s president says US memorandum is best path out of stalled war, and other Middle East news

by | Aug 23, 2026 | Top Stories

Iran’s president says US memorandum is best path out of stalled war, and other Middle East news

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian characterized a memorandum of understanding signed with the United States in June as the optimal resolution to break out of what he termed a state of “neither war nor peace.” Speaking through state media, Pezeshkian stated that Iran’s Supreme National Security Council viewed the agreement as the strongest possible accord achievable while preserving national dignity and interest. He emphasized that no provision within the memorandum constituted capitulation and reiterated that Iran’s supreme leader would determine policy direction.

The memorandum established a 60-day window for resolving the conflict and nuclear program disputes, a deadline that expired last week. However, substantive disagreements persist between the parties, particularly regarding reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a critical shipping corridor. Pezeshkian linked the agreement to Iran’s economic rehabilitation, noting that international capital flows require reduction of geopolitical risk. The Iranian economy has faced considerable pressure from sanctions and a naval blockade that severely constrains oil exports, the nation’s primary revenue source.

Contrasting with the president’s diplomatic framing, newly appointed Supreme National Security Council leader Mohsen Rezaei adopted a more combative stance, warning neighboring countries against participating in expanded American economic measures against Tehran. Rezaei, named to the position earlier this month as part of leadership changes interpreted as reflecting a hardened approach, threatened retaliatory strikes against Persian Gulf shipping infrastructure if regional states join what he characterized as economic warfare.

Pakistan’s military chief announced plans to visit Tehran on Monday to strengthen bilateral cooperation and advance regional peace initiatives, according to Iranian state television. The visit follows a call between the Pakistani commander and Iran’s foreign minister.

Separately, violence continued in the occupied West Bank, where a Palestinian reported being attacked with a pipe by an Israeli settler outside his residence, and Israeli forces pursued a suspect in a stabbing incident. Palestinian officials documented at least 87 Palestinian deaths from nearly 1,500 settler and military operations in 2026, while Israeli officials reported three Palestinians killed Israeli citizens during the same period.

Article Attribution | Read More at Article Source

Article summary produced by Claude AI