Trump says US scaling back joint military operations with South Korea

by | Aug 17, 2026 | Top Stories

Trump says US scaling back joint military operations with South Korea

President Trump stated that the United States intends to scale back joint military exercises with South Korea, citing both financial concerns and what he characterized as inappropriate signaling. Trump emphasized his positive relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and noted that Seoul had declined to participate in efforts related to Iran’s nuclear program.

Trump made the announcement through social media on a Sunday, stating that while cancellation was no longer possible since drills were scheduled to begin the following day, future exercises would be reduced. He connected his decision directly to South Korea’s unwillingness to provide military assistance with Iranian operations, stating that the US maintains approximately 39,000 troops in South Korea as a security guarantee. Trump indicated he viewed South Korea’s refusal to assist as unfair given American military commitments to the peninsula.

South Korean officials responded by saying they would continue reviewing Trump’s position while maintaining diplomatic consultations with Washington. Military leaders from both nations had announced the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise would proceed with approximately 18,000 South Korean soldiers participating in the 11-day training event. The timing coincided with renewed North Korean military activities, including recent ballistic missile tests and reports of North Korean troops assisting Russian operations in Ukraine.

Expert analysis suggested that reducing joint exercises could carry significant strategic costs. Academics noted that scaled-back drills could damage alliance coordination, slow South Korea’s development of independent defense capabilities, and weaken deterrence in the region, while offering only marginal financial savings and uncertain diplomatic benefits regarding North Korea. This represented a recurring pattern in Trump’s approach, as he had previously suspended the exercises entirely in 2018 during denuclearization negotiations with Kim Jong Un.

The announcement created mixed signals for Seoul, which had hoped to encourage Trump to engage diplomatically with Pyongyang while simultaneously facing pressure to contribute resources to American military priorities elsewhere. South Korea had previously committed substantial investment in the US and attempted to strengthen the alliance amid ongoing questions about the sustainability of American military presence on the peninsula.

Article Attribution | Read More at Article Source

Article summary produced by Claude AI