US strikes targeting Houthis killed 153 civilians in Yemen last year, Pentagon review says

by | Aug 16, 2026 | Top Stories

US strikes targeting Houthis killed 153 civilians in Yemen last year, Pentagon review says

The U.S. Department of Defense completed a review of airstrikes conducted against Iranian-backed Houthi militants in Yemen, determining that military operations resulted in significant civilian casualties. According to an unclassified assessment obtained by the Associated Press and submitted to Congress, three strikes launched in April 2025 caused 153 civilian deaths and 245 injuries. The findings come amid heightened scrutiny of civilian harm during military campaigns under the current administration.

The reviewed strikes targeted locations in Yemen’s rebel-held capital city of Sanaa and the Ras Isa port. The operation at Ras Isa proved most destructive, resulting in 80 deaths and 171 injuries. Video footage released by Houthi media outlets documented the aftermath of the strikes, showing extensive damage to port infrastructure and casualties. U.S. Central Command stated at the time of the strikes that the operations aimed to eliminate fuel supplies and revenue sources supporting the Houthi organization’s regional activities.

The Pentagon’s review determined that the three strikes “more likely than not” resulted in civilian harm based on U.S. intelligence sources, satellite imagery, and publicly available reporting. The department declined to authorize condolence payments for the affected civilians, though such payments remain an option following military operations that cause civilian casualties. The review did not provide explanation for the decision regarding compensation.

The strikes occurred within the broader context of U.S. military operations against Houthi forces, which began in 2023 in response to attacks on commercial shipping in the Red Sea. The militants have launched drones and missiles at vessels transiting the crucial trade corridor connecting to the Suez Canal. Recent developments indicate the Houthis are expanding operations against government forces in Yemen and oil infrastructure in neighboring Saudi Arabia, raising concerns about potential escalation of regional conflict.

Article Attribution | Read More at Article Source

Article summary produced by Claude AI